Museum of Galileo Workshop

The Museum was founded in 2006 by the then Galileo Avionica, now the Electronics Division for Terrestrial and Naval Defence of Campi Bisenzio (Florence) which, merging various Italian companies in the defence sector under the same brand name, had taken over the legacy of Officine Galileo in Florence, one of the oldest Italian high technology companies, which created optical and astronomical instruments.

Museo delle Officine Galileo

Museo delle Officine Galileo

The origins of Officine Galileo are in fact to be found in the long Florentine tradition in the field of the construction of optical/scientific measurement and precision instruments, a tradition that has its origins in the work of Galileo Galilei himself and in the momentum that had already been given to this activity in the seventeenth century by the Medici family, with the consent of the historic Accademia del Cimento.

Inside the Museum there is an astronomical pendulum clock donated to the Museum by the Ximenian Observatory of Florence. The clock was made in 1884 by the then Officine Galileo and for years was used to synchronise all the other clocks in the Observatory. Development of the Museum was entrusted to the Seniores Association. The Museum's headquarters are located in a farmhouse owned by the company opposite the Campi Bisenzio Electronic Division for Terrestrial and Naval Defence.

The company, now owned by Leonardo, has a rich library with over 4,500 texts and numerous periodicals on mechanics, optics, vacuum technology, military engineering and computer science.

Visit the site http://www.museodelleofficinegalileo.it

Museo delle Officine Galileo

Museo delle Officine Galileo

Museo Officine Galileo

Share on social networks

Previous PageMuseum of Melara
Next PageRadar Museum
Copyright © 2019 Leonardo S.p.A. Privacy & Cookie Policy